Citico Mound lay along Amnicola Highway between the VFW club and the Tennessee American Water Company's Distribution Complex. Scientific information indicates that the earliest town was probably located across the river on "Heritage Landing". The population then shifted to the south side of the river and construction of Citico mound began. The mound served as an elevated point for important public buildings. Impact from Spanish contact took its worst toll in the form of European disease. Deaths from smallpox, typhoid, and other alien diseases decimated the population and the remaining people were driven from the area by English-armed Cherokees around the end of the 17th century. Settico or Citico Town was originally located in Monroe County Tennessee. The Cherokee occupied the town at Citico Mound around 1776. During the Civil War the mound served as a important fort/post.
When the guns were fired celebrating the end of the Civil War, the
roar of the heavy guns collapsed a tunnel in the side of the mound
revealing the remains of a structure and six human skeletons. Sometime
after this the mound was leveled. It is estimated that as many as
10,000 native burials were pushed into the Tennessee River along with
the mound. In 1989 trenching equipment working in the state
right-of-way of Amnicola Highway disturbed a human burial in front of a
newly constructed building adjacent to the property now owned by
Tennessee-American Water Company.
For more information see